Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Are page views old news?

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and holiday if you are celebrating easter!

This week I am going to be discussing analyzing traffic towards websites and whether it should be done via page views.

Every week, I can log onto Google Analytics and see a great wealth of iJust Joshin'nformation regarding my viewers. The first analytic I always look at is how many page views I have received. Secondly how many of them are unique views? I can see in what states or even countries readers are viewing my posts and even see how long the average reader is spending on my url. However, is tracking the number of unique views I receive for my blog the best measure?

An article,The Death of the Pageview, shows me that there may be much more important analytics which I should be devoting my attention to instead of simply page views. While this is purely hypothetical as I am not a for-profit blogger. However, if I was beginning a start-up company these are some of the anlaytics as shown in the article linked which I now know I should be paying attention to:
  • click tracking
  • event tracking
  • conversion funnel analysis
  • split testing
Please click on the link above to read the article in Read Write Start, for a much more complete analysis of the topics discussed above.
Enjoy the beautiful weather!
JC

3 comments:

  1. It is a good posting!
    I should click it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that page views still have value and can be a good metric measure to see how effective SEO strategies such as split testing are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it would be interesting to see the amount of unique views for facebook compared to the amount of clicks of the "like" button for a certain facebook user...da boss is also right..

    ReplyDelete