Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Skyscrapers, Powerpoints and Hispanic Marketing

I've spent the last four months interning for The San Jose Group, a multi-cultural Hispanic marketing and advertising agency. It has been an eye opening experience for so many reasons. For one, it was my first exposure to a marketing and advertising agency. Second, it wasn't just any old advertising agency I was working for...we specialized in creating campaigns and supporting fortune 500 companies in marketing to the ever growing Hispanic population.

Here is a brief synopsis of my experience:

On my first day on the job, I was going through the Junior Executive Training Program and I learned I was coined a Consulting Junior Executive. Well, the title sure sounded fancy didn't it? I EVEN GOT MY OWN NAME TAG ON MY DESK. It was fun to just be working again as it had been about two months since my college graduation. The office is situated at 233 N. Michigan Ave and provided for gorgeous views of the Chicago River and Millenium Park. With skyscrapers all around I wasn't in little ol' Harrisburg, PA anymore or DC for that matter. My first day I sat down at my desk and had absolutely nothing to do. Uh oh it wasn't another one of those internships where you spend most of your time checking your fantasy football scores then doing actual work. I quickly learned my fears were absolved as I soon had more work then I could keep up with. I assisted in the completion of projects which acquired new business and provided strategy consultation for some existing clients.

The growing Hispanic population in America is something to definitely take note of. The new Census being released next year will really open a lot of Americans eyes that the Hispanic population won't be a minority for much longer. Finding ways to market and advertise to them effectively will provide many challenges for companies that are not prepared.

I loved my experience with San Jose Group and it has further my determination to land a position with a marketing and advertising agency.

-JC

No comments:

Post a Comment