Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Second life? Try working on your first one

Hey everyone out there, readers,avatars, whomever.
This week I learned about second life which to be brutally honest I find disturbing. It is a completely bizarre concept to me and while it is just an extension of video games it is a great leap from traditional gaming. I understand the appeal of World of Warcraft much more than I do of Second Life. At least in WOW there are objectives and goals which people seek to accomplish. In Second Life it seems that you are basically just living a virtual life. It is frankly a bit sad that people would be living in a virtual world and doing mundane daily tasks such as going shopping, eating as through an online game instead of the real world. This form of socializing can not be healthy for kids or anyone for that matter.

I listened to the NPR segment on "Firms Seek Elusive Real Profit in Virtual Business" and while I find Second Life extremely unattractive it does offer many attractive business opportunites. Second Life has a great deal of users and the ability to market and sell in Second Life has great potential for businesses. Therefore, Second Life is something businesses need to be cognizant of for its business possibilities. Who knows maybe in a few years instead of learning how to make an advertisement on facebook maybe students of Itec 335 will be learning how to create an advertisement in Second Life.

While the business opportunities are plentiful the pure existence of Second Life I find scary. It frightens me that someone would rather spend their time living in this life as opposed to their real one.

Till next time,
JC

2 comments:

  1. Good post! agree with your opinion and totally agree with your text theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slice, I agree. Life is short and people should go out and be active vs staying stuck behind a computer (what up rude boy).

    ReplyDelete