Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Corporate blogs=boring blogs

Generally, there is nothing I find less interesting than a corporate blog. I find them to be contrived, boring and simply speaking the company line. While I read very few blogs, what I do value in a blog is originality and creativity. I hope the blogger is going to be writing about a subject of particular interest to me and bring something that can't be found in other online or print publications. Most of what I seek I generally believe I can not find in a corporate blog.
In his article 10 Harsh Truths About Corporate Blogging Paul Boag makes many suggestions about corporate blogs that he finds to be well done. When browsing some of his selections instead of reversing my opinion about corporate blogs he simply reinforced them. I find them to be dry and lacking any interesting content. Boag says the Nokia Conversation Blog "does a great job of engaging users in conversations, asking for their opinions and starting discussions that generate many comments and gather many opinions" While that may be true, the discussions and questions being posed I have no interest in and have a tough time believing anyone besides electronic-freaks would care to comment either. Who really has the time or desire to sit around and comment on "what is the most feature in a web browsing device?" Maybe I just don't know the right people, but I can't think of anyone who would join that discussion board.
Those are my thoughts for the week. The verdict even if it is done "right" I still find corporate blogs to be dry and boring.

4 comments:

  1. I agree...corporate blogs are a complete waste of time. They add minimal value to a company if you think about the time and effort that it would take in order to make them interesting enough to create a following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corporation blogs are boring to us, I agree. but in companys side, I think they will help a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think corporate blogs that are more of a complaint/tech support resolution dialog do have value in that customers that have similar problems or question streams can have instant access to information. Definitely agree that they are usually boring though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's like reading a sports blog, if you like the penguins you shouldn't be reading a flyers blog...you aren't going to like the content. but taken with a grain of salt, you could teach the pens something.

    ReplyDelete